The Freshest Garlic Bread
So long, Texas Toast! Crusty bread, olive oil, all natural garlic and a sprinkle of fresh herbs - that's all it takes to prepare to this healthy indulgence. A little sprinkle of parmesan cheese doesn’t hurt, either.
1 load of whole grain bread
6 cloves of garlic, crushed
extra virgin olive oil
fresh parmesan cheese
1-2 tbsp fresh oregano, chopped (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. Cut the loaf of bread in half lengthwise, and carefully remove some of the bread from the inside. (If you're really indulging, leave it in!)
3. In a small saucepan, bring 2 tablespoons of olive oil to low heat. Add the crushed garlic, and season lightly with salt and pepper. “Cook” for 10 minutes, stirring constantly, until the garlic softens. By keeping the pan on low heat, you’ll prevent the garlic from browning and turning bitter.
4. Spread the garlic evenly over the bread and drizzle lightly with extra virgin olive oil. Lightly sprinkle parmesan cheese over the top of the bread.
5. Toast the bread in the oven for 5 minutes, or until golden brown around the edges. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with fresh oregano or basil.