Baked with Gorgonzola cheese and homemade bacon bits... it's a party in your mouth... enough said!
Ready in: 45 minutes
4 small sweet potatoes
1 ounce center cut bacon
1/2 cup Gorgonzola cheese crumbles
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. Wash the potatoes, then cut them lengthwise. Add them to a pot filled with cold water. Bring to a boil and cook until fork tender, about 15 minutes. Transfer the potatoes to a plate until they are cool enough to handle.
3. Place the bacon in a cold pan, then heat the pan to medium-high. Cook the bacon until it's golden and crispy, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate; when the bacon is cool enough to handle, use your hands to crumble it into bits. Set aside.
4. When the potatoes are cool, use a spoon to scoop out most of the meat of the potato, leaving about 1/8 of an inch of potato over the skin (reserve this for mashed sweet potatoes). Place the potato on a baking sheet.
5. Divide the gorgonzola cheese among the potato skins, then top each with bacon bits. Sprinkle with the red pepper flakes, a pinch of salt and some freshly ground black pepper. Drizzle with olive oil.
6. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the cheese is golden and bubbly (you can set the oven to broil to speed the process). Remove from the oven, garnish with thyme, and serve.