Ah, whole grain and fresh fruit goodness. I'm not usually a huge fan of French toast, mostly because it makes me feel terrible after I eat it. Not this time! While the name only sounds bad, it's deliciously light and good for you!
Ready in: 15 minutes
1/4 + 1 tablespoon cup milk, divided
3 tablespoons agave, divided, plus more to serve
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
4 slices whole grain bread
1/2 cup part-skim ricotta
1/2 tablespoon lemon zest
10 strawberries, sliced
1. In a baking dish, whisk together the egg, 1/4 cup milk, 2 tablespoons of agave, and vanilla, until well combined.
2. Heat the butter in a large non-stick pan or griddle over medium heat.
3. Dredge the bread in the milk, one by one, on both sides. Add the bread to the pan and cook for 2-4 minutes on each side, or until golden.
4. In a bowl, whisk together the ricotta, lemon zest, remaining tablespoon of milk and remaining tablespoon of agave, until smooth.
5. To serve, place one slice of French toast on a plate, and top with a quarter of the ricotta. Add some sliced strawberries, then top with another slice of toast. Top with a dollop of ricotta and more strawberries. Drizzle with agave to serve.