Bang Bang Shrimp is a crowd-pleaser, there's no doubt about that. But it's never a pleasure to feel yucky after devouring it. I found a way to make it light, easy and with all the BANG that you could want.
8 oz. raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/3 cup cornmeal
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 tablespoon coconut or canola oil
1/4 cup chopped bell pepper
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 tablespoon agave or honey
1 teaspoon lime zest
the juice of 1/2 lime
1/4 cup chopped cilantro or scallions
1. Pat the shrimp dry with a paper towel, and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
2. Place the cornmeal and paprika in a bowl, season with a pinch of salt and pepper, and stir until well-combined.
3. Heat the oil in a large non-stick pot or pan over medium-high heat. While the oil comes to temperature, toss the shrimp in the cornmeal until they are evenly coated.
4. Add the shrimp to the pot or pan and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until golden. Add the bell pepper and red pepper flakes, and sauté together for 1-2 minutes.
4. Remove the pan from heat, then add the agave, lime zest and lime juice. Transfer the shrimp to a serving dish and garnish with cilantro or scallions (or both).
2 tablespoons plain, fat free Greek yogurt
1 teaspoon chili garlic sauce
1 teaspoon lime juice
Mix all ingredients plus a pinch of salt and pepper in a bowl until smooth.