Strawberry Cheesecake Muffins
Muffins don't have to be the calorie bombs that most bakeries make them out to be. Mine are 100% whole wheat and sweetened naturally with agave and real fruit. Dessert meets breakfast with my strawberry cheesecake muffins, and I'm not worried about it!
Ready in: 30 minutes
You'll Need:You'll Need:
1 egg white
1/4 cup skim milk
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup agave
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups chopped strawberries
1 tablespoon lemon zest (approx. 1 lemon), divided
2/3 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup part-skim ricotta
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl whisk together the egg, egg white, milk, oil, agave, and vanilla, until well-combined. Stir in the strawberries and the lemon zest, reserving a few pinches to garnish.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir into the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
4. Whisk the ricotta in a small bowl until smooth. Add the ricotta to the muffin batter, using a rubber spatula to gently fold it in, without over-mixing. The ricotta should be in swirls.
4. Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray for baking or use muffin liners. Fill the tins leaving a 1/2-inch space at the top. Bake for 20 minutes, or until a pick inserted in the muffin comes out clean. Garnish with remaining lemon zest.