Lean & Mean BBQ Meatloaf
Indulge without really indulging. Because blue cheese and barbecue sauce are a match made in heaven, I'm able to use few ingredients and still yield maximum flavor!
1 ½ lbs lean ground beef (7% fat or less)
1 large vidalia or white onion, chopped
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 tablespoons mustard
1 tablespoon ketchup
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
3 tablespoons barbecue sauce (homemade or store bought)
1/3 cup reduced fat blue or Gorgonzola cheese crumbles
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, and cook for 5 to 10 minutes, or until soft and caramelized. Remove from the heat and set aside.
3. Add the beef, remaining 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil, mustard, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, dried oregano, red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper, to a bowl, using your hands to combine the ingredients. Add the onion, using a spatula to mix them in if they are still warm.
4. Transfer the beef to a greased loaf pan, pressing down gently to spread it evenly in the mold.
5. Bake the meatloaf for 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and top with the barbecue sauce.
6. Set the oven to the broil setting. Place the meatloaf back in the oven for 1-2 minutes, or until the sauce begins to caramelize.
7. Remove the meatloaf from the oven, top with cheese and place under the broiler again until the cheese is brown and bubbly. Remove from the oven. Let the meatloaf rest for 10 minutes before serving.