Curried Coconut Pan Roasted Sweet Potato Soup
I'm absolutely obsessed with curry and coconut, and I don't care who knows it! This soup is sweet, spicy, creamy and so easy to make... if you like a little heat, this will rock your world!
2 medium sweet potatoes
1/2 cup coconut milk beverage
1/2 tsp panang or red curry paste
1/4 cup toasted shredded coconut
2 tbsp canola oil (or coconut oil)
salt + pepper
1. Preheat the canola oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Meanwhile, peel and chop the sweet potatoes into small cubes.
2. Add the sweet potato to the pot and cook until lightly browned, about 3-5 minutes (pan roasting adds even more flavor). Season with salt and pepper.
3. Add just enough water to the pot to cover the potatoes - bring to a boil and then down to a simmer, and cook until the potatoes are fork tender, about 10-15 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, toast the coconut by heating it in a dry skillet over medium heat. Once it reaches a light brown color, remove it from the heat and transfer to a plate. Set aside.
5. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the potatoes to a blender. Add the coconut milk and the curry paste, and blend, adding the cooking liquid as necessary until the soup reaches a smooth, creamy consistency. (If you don't like food that is too spicy, as the curry paste a little at a time until it reaches the heat you like.)
6. Serve and garnish with shredded coconut.