Coconut Curry Pita Pocket
I got the idea for this recipe after having the Coconut Curry Bun from Gigi's in Miami. What's missing from my version is the fluffy, delicious Korean bun, but for fit purposes, the whole wheat pita pocket is an excellent alternative.
Ready in: 30 minutes
1 - 8oz boneless skinless chicken breast
1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
2 small onion, chopped (1/3-1/2 cup)
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
1 tablespoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/3 cup dried unsweetened coconut flakes
1/2 cup plain, nonfat Greek yogurt
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
2 whole wheat pita breads
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the chicken breast and cook about 10 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
2. Heat the coconut oil in a large non-stick pan over medium high heat. Add the onion and bell pepper, and cook until soft and browned, about 10 minutes.
3. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board, but do not discard the water. Use two forks to pull apart the chicken, then add it to the pan with the onion and bell pepper, and 1/4 cup of the cooking water. Stir in the curry powder, cinnamon, red pepper flakes and coconut. Season with salt and pepper.
4. In a small bowl, combine the yogurt, lime juice and a dash of salt and pepper until smooth.
5. Heat the pita in the microwave for 10-15 seconds to make it easier to open and stuff. Add shredded chicken, yogurt sauce, and garnish of choice (lettuce, tomato, cucumbers, etc).