Seen on FOX: Coconut Chicken & Banana Waffles
It wasn't until recently that I first tried Chicken & Waffles, and O-M-G, did I fall in love. I didn't think it could be easily made at home, much less made healthy. Wrong! Here is a fit twist on the Southern fave.
Ready in: 25-30 minutes
For the Coconut Chicken -
1 pound boneless skinless chicken tenders
1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
2 tablespoons coconut or canola oil
For the Waffles -
1 large banana, mashed
1 egg plus 1 egg white
3/4 cup skim milk
1/4 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
Agave nectar or Maple syrup to serve
1. Season the chicken tenders with salt and pepper on both sides. Place the shredded coconut in a shallow dish, and pass the chicken tenders through the coconut until evenly coated. Set aside.
2. Preheat a waffle iron to medium heat. In a large bowl, whisk together the mashed banana, egg, egg white, milk, canola oil, and vanilla until well combined. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt until well combined. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until just incorporated, leaving the batter slightly lumpy.
3. Lightly spray the waffle iron with cooking spray. Pour about 1/3 cup of the waffle batter onto the iron and cook until golden. To keep the waffles warm, place them on a plate and cover them with foil, or keep them in a preheated oven (350 degrees).
4. Heat the coconut oil in a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken tenders for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until golden, crispy and cooked through.
5. To serve, place the coconut chicken over the waffles. Drizzle lightly with agave nectar or Maple syrup, and garnish with extra sliced bananas .