chocolate chip waffles
Ready in 15 minutes
1 1/3 cups white whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg + 1 egg white at room temperature
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
3/4 cup skim milk at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon agave syrup, plus extra for serving
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
non-stick cooking spray
1. Preheat the waffle maker to medium-high.
2. In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, coconut oil, skim milk, vanilla and agave. (The ingredients have to be at room temperature so the coconut oil doesn't clump. If the liquid starts clumping, microwave the mixture for 20 seconds at a time so the coconut oil remains liquid.)
4. Add the dry ingredients to the batter and mix until just combined but still lumpy. Stir in the chocolate chips.
5. Spray the waffle iron with cooking spray. Pour 1/3 cup of batter in the center of the waffle iron. Close and cook until the light turns green, or until the waffle is golden. Place the cooked waffle on a place and cover with foil to keep warm (or place in oven heated to 200 degrees). Repeat with remaining batter. Serve with agave or maple syrup.