Chickpeas & Curry
Protein-rich chickpeas and aromatic curry powder pair up in this spicy, savory, enjoy-it-however-you want-to dish. A dollop of my Chunky Cucumber Yogurt Sauce is so refreshing on top of this new twist on a veggie burger.
1 – 15 oz can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
¾ cup cooked brown rice
¼ cup diced red pepper
1 small yellow onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 heaping tsp curry powder
1 egg white
¼ cup chopped cilantro
salt + pepper
1. Heat about 1 tbsp of olive oil in a large pan to medium high. When the pan is hot, add the chickpeas, rice, red pepper, onion, garlic, and curry powder, and salt and pepper to taste. Sautee for about 5 minutes so that the vegetables cook and the chickpeas are toasty.
2. Transfer everything to a large bowl. Use a potato masher to mash the ingredients together until you have a dough-like consistency. Place the bowl in the refrigerator to cool, about 15 minutes.
3. When it’s cooled, add the chopped cilantro and egg white, and mix with well with your hands until the egg white is evenly incorporated into the chickpeas. Divide the mixture into four equal parts and shape into patties.
4. Bring the large pan up to medium heat and coat with a thin layer of olive oil or cooking spray. Carefully place the patties on the pan and cook for about 4-5 minutes on each side, until browned and toasty. Make sure you are carefully when flipping the patties so they don’t fall apart.
5. Serve with Chunky Cucumber Yogurt Sauce. Other serving suggestions: between two whole grain buns, over a huge green salad, or crumbled into a wrap.