I love, and I mean LOVE, a good Caprese salad. Soft, fresh mozzarella cheese, ripe tomatoes and bright basil - it's really a fave. So, I put it in my eggs, and the outcome was exceptionally good. Paired with greens tossed in a balsamic vinaigrette, I'd eat this any time of day.
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 egg + 1 egg white*
half a plum tomato, thinly sliced
1 oz fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
1-2 leaves of basil
1. Heat the olive oil in a large non-stick pan over medium heat. Carefully use a napkin to evenly coat the bottom of the pan with the oil.
2. Beat the egg and egg white in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Pour the eggs into the pan, swirling the pan until the eggs form a circle. Allow the eggs to set, about 2-3 minutes.
4. Arrange the tomato and mozzarella cheese on one half of the eggs. Tear the basil with your hands and add over the tomato and mozzarella.
5. Use a rubber spatula to carefully fold over the egg in half. Serve.
*You can use two whole eggs, or one egg and two egg whites - depends on your diet.
Caprese Scrambled Eggs
Don't think you can pull off the perfect omelet? Scramble your eggs. Instead of slicing your tomato and mozzarella, chop them into small cubes. When the pan comes up to heat, add the eggs, tomato and mozzarella, and scramble until cooked to desired doneness. Stir in the basil right before serving.