Power Up, Slim Down Banana Muffins
These muffins are so moist and delicious, you wouldn't know they were healthy if you weren't making them yourself! The best part: this is a base recipe, with many variations to come!
1 ½ cup mashed bananas (about 2-3 large)
1/3 cup heart healthy canola oil
1 tsp vanilla
¼ cup of brown sugar in the raw plus more for sprinkling on top
1 ½ cup whole wheat flour
1 ½ tsp cinnamon
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
¼ cup raisins
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
2. In a large bowl, mash together the bananas, canola oil, vanilla, and brown sugar, as smooth or as chunky as you like. Add the raisins and mix well.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together the whole wheat flour, cinnamon, salt, and baking powder.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the mashed banana mixture and mix with a spatula until just combined. Do not over mix. (Go ahead and add some chopped walnuts for more omega 3's and a healthy dose of good fat!)
5. Line a jumbo muffin pan (makes 6 muffins) with liners or coat with cooking spray for baking. Using a 1/2 cup measure, fill 6 liners as evenly as possible. Sprinkle each muffin lightly with brown sugar. (You can use a 12-muffin pan for smaller muffins; baking time is 15-17 minutes.)
6. Bake for 22-25 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the muffin is clean.