Orange Scented Cherry Muffins
These are just a sweet modification to my Marble-ous Blueberry Muffins, just in time for the holidays.
- 1 egg + 1 egg white
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup brown sugar in the raw, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup pitted cherries
- the zest of one orange
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl whisk together the eggs, milk, oil, sugar, and vanilla. Stir in the cherries and orange zest
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Stir into the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
4. Spray a 12-muffin, muffin tin with cooking spray for baking. Fill the tins with the batter leaving a 1/2-inch space at the top and sprinkle each one lightly with extra brown sugar. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a pick inserted in the muffin comes out clean.