Sweet and Spicy Corn Chowder
Who doesn't love a heart-warming bowl of corn chowder? If it's like most corn chowders out there, the answer would be your hips and arteries. My version of this delicious comfort food is rich, creamy and bursting with flavor -- no butter or cream needed. Your jeans will thank you.
2 tablespoons olive oil1 medium white onion, chopped
2 leeks, chopped
2 cups fresh corn kernels from 4 ears of corn, reserve the cobs
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 cup fresh cilantro
1/2 cup skim milk
1. Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
2. Add the chopped onion, leeks, and corn kernels. Cook for 10 minutes, or until the onion is soft. Season with salt and pepper, and red pepper flakes. (Leeks belong to the onion and garlic family -- use what's just below the dark green leaves.)
3. Add just enough water to the pot to cover the vegetables. Add the cobs stripped of their kernels to the pot, and cook for about 5 minutes.
4. Remove the cobs from the pot. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the veggies to the blender. Add the cilantro and a little bit of the cooking water and begin to puree. Slowly add the milk, and additional cooking water if necessary, until the chowder is smooth and creamy.
5. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper if necessary. Serve
To add a tasty element, add some crispy bacon!