My version of this yummy treat can be enjoyed for breakfast, as a snack, and of course, as dessert. They’re moist, spongy, tasty, easy and guilt-free.
2 medium bananas, mashed
1 egg + 1 egg white
1 tbsp butter substitute, melted (I Can't Believe It's
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 c packed brown sugar, light or dark
1 c whole wheat pastry flour
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp salt
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
¼ cup dark or white chocolate chips (or both!)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, whisk or beat the egg, egg white, melted butter, and vanilla until all are well-combined. (Tip: Stop to check how thick and runny the egg is – the less gooey, the better!) Stir in the mashed bananas, walnuts and chocolate chips.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until they are just combined - don’t overmix!
4. Line a 9x9 pan with parchment paper or coat with nonstick spray for baking. Transfer the batter to the pan. Bake for 25 minutes, or until a pick inserted in the middle is clean, or until the edges are as crisp as you like. Let the blondies cool completely before cutting in them.
- Skip the chocolate and stick to fruit - add raisins, craisins, or any other dried fruit you love!